Adventures of a foreigner in the south of Brazil.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Wet City


So this is what tropical rain is all about. It's just like other rain, only much more so. In Porto Alegre, the lower parts of the city can well be renamed to Lake District. Driving gets...interesting. You never know if you will get through the next spot of water or not. I was tonight blessed with a companion who knows both this situation and the city extremely well. Otherwise I might be catching fish for dinner right now. At some point we did have to stop and ponder the situation. We went on, of course. Where's the fun in being wimpy? And we got through. And it was fun. And I'm still happy not to have to sleep in the car in the middle of a river that was once a street.

Next time it rains I'll take my camera, promise. The photo above was taken from a hill and doesn't do justice to what happens in the city as I'm writing this. But I really didn't fancy going down again.